Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I-85 Reconstruction (South Metro Atlanta)

Currently, I-85 -- from the Coweta-Meriwether county lines to Senoia Road (S.R. 74) -- is being widened and the concrete surface is being replaced. Before the reconstruction project, the I-85 southbound lanes decreased from four to three (at S.R. 74), then from three to two (at S.R. 34). There's a lot of traffic that uses this corridor: Ft. Benning traffic, Auburn football traffic, New Orleans-bound traffic, etc. It's good that GDOT is widening and resurfacing this stretch of rural highway.

During this reconstruction process, there have been numerous accidents, some fatal. Because of this, GDOT has lowered the construction speed limit (for the 29 mile project) from 60 m.p.h. to 50 m.p.h. I thought 60 was a bit fast, because the lanes are narrowed and shoulders are non-existent. Traffic is still rolling through this construction zone, though. To help curb some of this speeding and reckless driving, small message board signs have been installed. They read, "Slow down -- My Mom/Dad works here." I wished I'd stopped to take a photo of them, but there was nowhere for me to pull over to do it safely.

Here are some links that will explain the accidents and the reconstruction project in greater detail. Also, included are some videos of the construction zone.

I-85 Reconstruction/Widening Projects page

Tanker Truck Explodes (Coweta County, Ga.)

Overturned Tractor-Trailer (Coweta County, Ga.)

Speed limit lowered to 50 m.p.h. (S. Fulton/Coweta counties, Ga.)




3 comments:

  1. You might find our new site interesting. www.iconetraffic.com Our sensors have been in Georgia work-zones for about six months now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many of you have had trouble getting on I85 and off, (esspecially Exit 51 and 47) due to the ever changing lanes, lack of barriers or dead ones, and poor markings at the entry and exit areas?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I know exactly how you feel. This entire construction zone is "Death Valley." Be glad I will when the work's finished.

    ReplyDelete