Sunday, May 17, 2009

Southern Mississippi/Miss. Gulf Coast

Okay, this blogging is addictive. :)

This weekend, well, last Thursday my family and I drove to Philadelphia, Neshoba County, Mississippi. We stayed the night there, and gambled a bit. On Friday morning, we started driving down to Biloxi. We took I-59 South, through Laurel and Hattiesburg, then got on U.S. 98 East to U.S. 49 South, driving through the DeSoto National Forest and Wiggins. U.S. 49 through the DeSoto National Forest is beautiful, very, very beautiful. The speed limit is a respectable 65 m.p.h.

When we got into north Harrison County, we took the S.R. 67 South interchange. All of S.R. 67, north of Old S.R. 67 and the I-10/110 interchange, is signed at 65 m.p.h. A 55 m.p.h. speed limit on that stretch would be really bogus, in my opinion, and a speed trap. There are no driveways directly on the S.R. 67 right-of-way, which is good. The only thing that I found odd was that there were bike lanes on this expressway.

After driving through the beautiful countryside, we merged onto I-110 South, which used to carry S.R. 15. S.R. 15 is co-signed with S.R. 67 for the last few miles of S.R. 67's length. Both of these state highways end at Sangani/Bobby Eleuterius Blvds. & the I-10/110 interchange.

Now, I'll show y'all two videos: one is of U.S. 49 through the DeSoto National Forest; the other is of S.R. 67 through north Harrison County, the Tradition community, and I-10/110.

Oh, before I post the videos, here are some links.

National Forests in Mississippi, DeSoto Ranger District


Town of Tradition, MS

MDOT Ribbon Cutting Ceremony (S.R. 67)
(courtesy of gulfcoastnews.com)

U.S. 49 South - Forrest and Stone counties (MS)



Mississippi Highways - Harrison County, MS


2 comments:

  1. Lol, I thought you went to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (the big Philly), I already found a combination of Philadelphia, PA and Biloxi, MS weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Chris, whenever I tell anyone I'm going to Philadelphia, I have to preface it with Mississippi. :-)

    ReplyDelete